In second meetings following advice their actions were inconsistent with training and law1, the zoning board of appeals and planning commission continue breach of statutory duty. Confounding their choice, a planning commissioner previously observed 'that makes no sense'2.
While making sense is not required of public officials, penalty is prescribed for violation of statute provisions3; misconduct in office rising to a 5yr/$10K felony and loss of immunity from tort liability are examples. Oath of Office, Rules of Conduct and Ethics Policy additionally attempt to ensure officials heed regulations. Transgressions predicated on reasonable belief of authority and compliance avoid penalty.
Leveraging the belief exemption Mt. Pleasant city officials have connived an administration without concern for statute authority or compliance. Transgression advancing their agenda is simply disregarded with a chorus of 'I believe' authority and compliance:
When the reasonable claim is an obvious no sale, officials fallback submitting confusion colored that conclusion. Mayor James J. Holton divulged the rule of conduct regarding independent thought, 'Don't tell anyone!'14.
Signs Your Administration is Broken, Wasteful, and otherwise Corrupt
- Your planning director informs you mandatory compliance reviews are not performed2
- Your building official permits a liquor store without mandatory special use permit15
- You are advised to employ a fictitious 'timeout' procedure11
- You repeatedly amend the ordinance with the addition of wholly superfluous text16
- You award property development that does not reflect published standards or planning17
- Your budget item CITY ATTORNEY blossoms to $192,270; violations and obfuscation continue18